Saturday 13 February 2010

Birthday, Sunday 7th February 2010



I was up late again, doing the ‘will she, wont she’ bit, wondering if Purdey was finally going to go into labour and being annoyed at a neighbour playing something only remotely resembling music. Finally got to bed gone 4 am I think, putting my alarm on for 9.30 Sunday morning since I had cat sits to get out for.

But no waiting for the alarm. I was woken up by Purdey attacking the bookshelf next to my bed. Well, actually down the far side of my bed, so that the bottom shelf has just a crack down into it (and on down to great spaces for things to get lost under the bookshelf and bed). Purdey has already made some attempts at nesting in this space, last time re-arranging the books and ripping several to shreds in the process. I’d barricaded it off, so this time she was fairly easily repelled. I expected her to disappear off again, but instead she turned her attentions to me. I noticed that her tummy felt really hard. Checking the time, I saw it was 9 am. Then I realised Purdey was lying down next to me (something she’s actually never done: while she follows me round during the day, and at first tried to keep me awake at night, now she settles to sleep in living room.) As she moved around I realised there was a wet patch on the bed and she was having contractions.

So she lay cuddled up to me, with me stroking her and re-assuring her. As the contractions got stronger she got more and more scared and meowed more and more. As they reached a peak she was screaming, her eyes went totally wild and for a moment I thought she was going to lash out at me. I just kept talking to her. She reached out with a paw and pretty much held onto me. I was wondering if something was wrong, if I should get the vet, but within a few minutes the first kitten appeared. I went and grabbed my camera and started taping as she licked it. First kitten born 9.24.

Since Purdey is black and white I thought ‘and whites’ of some description were likely. I’d speculated she might have a tortie or two if the ginger and white cat I’d seen around was an entire tom (and told myself firmly that dad was quite possibly the fairly ugly white with black blotches tom I see more often, including over where I found her). So I was quite surprised to see a plain tabby. Beautiful stripes though. That was followed by two blacks: she cried out, but things went much quicker and easier and she seemed less scared now. I was surprised how huge the afterbirths were, but let her deal with them. The first disappeared quite quickly, but number 3 took a couple of goes! Meanwhile I was comparing bottoms. I thought tabby was a male, first black was a male… but then number 3 still looked male but a bit different to 2. Lucky Purdey seemed trusting of me handling them! She also seemed delighted to lie there and purr as they sucked on her (though they didn’t seem to have latched onto nipples yet!)

The vet had only felt 3 when he examined her. I’d speculated there might be more, and feeling her now I thought I could feel one still there. Sure enough after a short break the contractions started again. Number 4 was swiftly delivered at 10.40. Having now got used to her having plain colours, as she licked at the head end of the sack I was quite shocked to see a little white blaze appear. Then it looked like some bits of the blaze were actually orange… I wasn’t sure if it was birth fluids though. And when I saw a little stripy looking leg I decided the kitten was tabby and white. Then as it seemed dark I changed my mind and decided maybe it was black and white, like mum. It took a while before I confirmed there really was orange… brindle tortie on the back (the orange only visible as the kitten dried) with white (and orange) legs, chest and blaze. While I speculated kitten 4 did her best to prove the tortie reputation by clambering straight over her litter mates and latching onto a nipple while still wet. The first to actually feed I think. Mum took several goes to finish that afterbirth! I think she might have been still attached as she took her first milk.

More bottom examinations, and I now think probably 1-3 are all boys, with no 2 being larger in certain departments than 3! Not 100% sure though: those bits are so tiny!







I was pretty sure that was it, so after a little more time I got myself together to go out. My duvet was wet and bloodstained, so I had a feeling mum might not want to stay there long. I wasn’t too sure what would happen if I went out… I brought one of the birthing boxes I’d made into the bedroom and put it on the bed, right next to the bookshelves. I did think of moving them in… but they seemed settled.

I arrived a little late at my first cat sit of the day! It had all happened so fast… I hadn’t had time to call for cover. And I was probably there quicker than cover could have been! The cats had food in their bowls and seemed quite happy anyway. I got back to find mum and two kittens in the box, and two lying quite calmly outside. I put them in, which mum seemed quite happy about, and went to make announcements. Then tore myself away to go see another pair of cats.

Purdey met me at the door when I returned with some significant glances. There was something I’d been thinking of doing, and I had a feeling Purdey would be agreeable. I went and picked up the box and carried it into the living room. As soon as I put it down, Purdey went in. Quite happy, and quite in agreement that in the living room was much better than in a box on my bed!

Since then she’s actually been out of the box quite a bit. Partly I think she wants my company. Partly maybe because she has needed to put some major time into cleaning! She was just as messy as my duvet! (Though looking much better now: shame I can’t get her to lick it clean…). She’s very happy to have me go over and stroke her while she nurses. She also now has food and water right outside the box. Thinking about sorting out an extra litter tray… She seems to have finally settled down with the kittens.


Tonight I think I’ll be sleeping on the couch. Tomorrow I have to work out how I’m going to fit in 2 cat sits, a dog walk, a trip to the laundrette to clean my duvet, and the 2 hour run I had scheduled for today! Especially since new mum clearly expects me to stay in and help!

(Written last week… updates, photos and maybe videos to follow shortly…)

No comments:

Post a Comment