Sunday 21 February 2010

Sunday 21st Feb 2010, Two Weeks!

I would have liked to have written more the last week, but it’s been a busy time for me: I’ve been doing around 12 miles a day walking for work I reckon! I’m tending to come in exhausted.

It’s been amazing seeing how the kittens have developed in their first two weeks. They started out with just little curls for ears and prickles on the ends of their toes. Now they have moving ear flaps, wagging tails and claws that, while they are still part out all the time, are beginning to develop sheaths and to move in and out as they knead at mum. Tortie was the first to have eyes opening, on day seven. She didn’t seem totally ready though, and still acted like they were closed, and actually kept them closed most of the time. The others finally began to open their eyes on day ten, and instantly seemed to be blurrily checking out their surroundings. The same day, Tortie seemed to start looking around too, as if she’d finally tuned in to the new sense.

Tortie on day 8: that’s mum’s whiskers about to carry her off… more of that below


They’ve gone from little blobs with an urge to find nipples, to little creatures that seem to be actually thinking. It’s amazing to watch Grey Legs testing out his claws on box and towel, or starting to explore, or Tabby playfully biting a litter mate, or Tortie trying to catch her own back paw. I read something that said don’t be surprised if in week three your kittens start purring… mine started Friday after they were born, day five. Now you can generally hear one or two puttering away every time they nurse. Tabby and Glossy seemed to be top purrers so far, though it’s hard to tell when they are in a pile! Recently Grey Legs has developed a BIG purr. They are generally starting to move around and explore inside the box and each other, starting to get their back legs under them and bellies up by day ten, and really walking (with lots of wobbles) by now.

In some ways I’m more worried about mum’s progress. I keep pointing out to her that part of the appeal of her having her kittens with me was I got to observe cat behaviour… but, well, she is just a kitten herself. She does keep one eye on the kittens, keeps them well fed and cleaned. She seems to have worked out how to casually block a kitten toddling in the wrong direction with a leg. But I do think she’s spending more time away from them than is expected. She still wants fuss from me and wild games with her favourite leather strip, even if she is a mum. Then there’s the carrying issue…

Back on the first day she did move two of her kittens into the box, but left two outside. I’d like to think I just caught her halfway, but I have my doubts. Since then they’ve been in the nest box, and apart from retrieving one off me early on they’ve stayed there. A few times when it’s looked like she was thinking of moving I’ve taken that as my hint to change the towel, and she’s settled back down again. I was beginning to wonder what would happen when the kittens started to move around: would she be able to get them out of trouble? So rather than putting a kitten back in the box after weighing I let her collect it off me. She took the kitten, carried it a few paces, knocked it against the high entrance to the box, dropped it and carried on without it. Then I was taking pics of Tortie out on the couch to show her newly-opening eyes, and she came and took her off, dropped her on the floor and ran to the box looking distinctly sheepish. She clearly felt she wasn’t up to it and hoped I’d step in, which I did. Getting a little worried as time went on, I decided to see what would happen if a kitten was left outside the box. I used Grey Legs since he seems a pretty mellow and resilient type. Purdey felt something was wrong and she should do something… even experimentally mouthed him a little. Then got down and started to roll and play with him. I ended up putting him back.

Well, I guess I shouldn’t have worried, as it turns out Purdey is quite capable of carrying kittens when I’m not available. It’s where she’ll carry them to which I should be worrying about!

Night of Thursday 19th / morning Friday 20th I’d got to bed rather late. Already tired, in fact over tired so I had trouble settling. First a couple of texts came at hour intervals. Then I think Purdey woke me up getting into the gap under the chest at the bottom of my bed and scraping the papers I have stored there about. Perhaps another hour on, who knows, Purdey woke me again, but this time I heard squeaking. I put my hand down the gap, and sure enough, felt a kitten. I sleepily retrieved him and took him through into the living room. Half asleep I was actually wondering if she’d secretly had a 5th kitten there the whole time! But there were 3 in the box. I put Grey Legs (well, I’m 90% sure it was him, since Glossy would have squeaked a lot louder!) back in the box, and went back to bed, finding a few things to block the gap first. In old papers next to the gap under the bed is not a great place for kittens in my opinion…

I think I’d dosed off a little when I realised Purdey was trying to get in the gap again. I went to pull my duvet back to show her it was blocked off, and put my hand on a kitten… Tabby’s turn to be returned to the box. By now you are probably wondering why I didn’t close the bedroom door after that… well, I had visions of getting up in the morning to a little pile of kittens on the cold floor outside it. So I rather hopefully went to bed. A little later I heard squeaks… The first night after the kittens were born I got up thinking I’d heard squeaks and it turned out to be the dawn chorus. So I decided it was that. But then the squeaks got closer. I sat up to find Purdey sitting on the floor by the side of my bed looking at me with Tortie at her feet. Was she just following an instinct to move them? Or was she in some way seeking my attention? Anyway, she seemed determined… I gave up and got up.

I hoped that would be it, and sat down to do some writing. All was well for a while… Then Purdey went past me with Tortie in her mouth again. Once she got to the hallway and saw the door to my bedroom was now shut, she dropped her and ran back in confusion. This time I put Tortie in the second, larger box I have in my living room. Purdey swiftly came and retrieved her and put her back in the nest with the others. I’m not sure if it was seeing the door closed, or that I tricked her into putting Tortie back herself, but there’s been no problems since.

So all well so far… Kittens developing very well. Now I have to get the living room ready for them starting to wander, as I don’t think it will be long (I’ve shut the bedroom door…). Amazing to see them starting to take an interest in the world around, all getting on for 3 times the size they were at birth.

I’m a little worried about Purdey again… one of her nipples is looking swollen (again…) but also a bit red this time. I’m going to see how it is in the morning and it will be back to the vet again if it’s no better. Hoping it’s a false alarm like last time…
Mum and kittens on day 14: they are so big!

Grey Legs and Tabby having a play fight


(PS: I’m having problems posting comments at the moment: weird on my own blog! So excuse the lack of replies….)

No comments:

Post a Comment