Tuesday 16 February 2010

A Visit To The Vet: Thurs 11th Feb 2010



Thursday I got a bit worried. I started noticing the kittens were sneezing. Not all the time, just every now and again. Then I noticed that maybe Tabby was breathing a little faster… or maybe he wasn’t. They all looked well. I told myself I was probably being paranoid. After all, there had been the odd sneeze before. It kept niggling me though. Due to Purdey being already pregnant when I got her, it wasn’t possible to get her vaccinated. So my little family were vulnerable. Had I stroked the wrong cat in the street and brought something back?

By early evening I still couldn’t make my mind up. On balance I thought all was well, but I also knew it could be serious if it wasn’t. It was half five and the vets was open for surgery till 7. Then I felt Purdey… She had a hard little ball where one of the nipples was meant to be. Looking at it I could see that the nipple itself had totally disappeared inside the hard lump: the end was just a reddish looking mark. Purdey didn’t seem the least bit bothered. But I now had two reasons. I phoned the vets and booked them in for 6. The possibility that Purdey might be getting mastitis was scary: if so the kittens would have to be taken off her, and it would be up to me to hand feed them every two hours day and night.

Then there was a mad scramble to get them ready. Since I don’t have a car and the vet is a short walk away I tie the cat basket to a shopping trolley base. I found some pillow cases to act as ‘curtains’ on the side and front, both to keep the cold out and for privacy. Then kittens, towel and Purdey were transferred inside and we were off. A bit late so I actually ran much of the way! Of course, I still had to wait an anxious while in the waiting room.

Finally our turn. Of course the vet pretty quickly pronounced all well with the kittens! Very healthy in fact, and probably just milk up their noses. He also assured me that they basically wouldn’t be getting cat flu unless Purdey was a carrier… which it seemed she wasn’t. Purdey’s pea (as he described it) was also pronounced OK. A nipple excess to requirements it seemed, that had got full and blocked up with dried milk. In fact he squeezed the blockage out. Nothing to worry about if it happens again apparently, but I’m glad to say the nipple has remained a normal shape since! Though Purdey was a little reluctant to have me check it at first: I don’t think she enjoyed the vet’s squeezing!

Anyway… even though I was sure all was going well, it is nice to have a vet’s word for it! The kittens were meant to have their first vet visit at 2 weeks. If all goes well he said now he doesn’t need to see them again until vaccination time at 9 weeks! Seems such a long time…

Since I didn’t actually take pictures at the vets, I thought I’d include some for those following the ‘Yawn Thread’ on Cat Chat… The first was actually taken some time ago, soon after Purdey first came to live with me. You can see her favourite toy, a strip of leather, in the background. She still gets regular play sessions with that! The second picture is day one or two with the kittens I think
.

1 comment:

  1. Purdey looks so gorgeous and happy (despite the wide mouthed yawns). You are so lucky to have her and she is so lucky to have such a kind person as you taking care of her and the kittens. I can't wait until I can have some cat interaction in my life again whether its cat sitting, fostering or adopting. :-)

    ReplyDelete